The Marine Corps League was established in June 1923 during a reunion in New York of Marines who had served in the 1st World War. The League was chartered by an act of the United States Congress on August 4th, 1937. It was authorized to assist and aid in presenting claims before the Veterans Administration by Public Law #243, passed by the 74th Congress of the United States of America.
The Marine Corps League was chartered as a non-profit Military Organization with the most important objective being to serve the local communities through programs beneficial to all, whether working with youth, helping in community endeavors, or assisting veterans. Membership in the Marine Corps League is open to all active duty, retired or honorably-discharged military personnel.
Detachment 1106, located in Anderson, SC, was chartered on July 30, 2002 as the Electric City Leathernecks. The Detachment was renamed the Upstate Marines in February of 2005. Detachment 1106 currently has approximately 40 members who live in Upstate (northwest) South Carolina and northeast Georgia.
Detachment 1106 is the first local branch to be established in the Upstate area to serve Anderson County, SC and the Hartwell, GA area.