DEFRAGMENTING THE HARD DRIVE
Below is a short discussion on how to defragment your hard drive if your operating system is Windows 7, or perhaps older. Some versions of windows 7 and newer versions of Windows are slightly different. Also, you do not defrag flash drives or solid state drives.
- Click on Start in the lower corner of your monitor.
- Click on "Search programs and files."
- Type the word "defrag". (Without the quotes, of course.)
- A menu will appear. Choose "Disk Defragmenter" or "Defragment your had drive."
- The Disk Defragmenter window will open. Do not choose "Analyze disk," instead click on "Defragment disk."
- Defragmenting may take a few minutes, or it may take hours. It depends on your computer speed and how badly your hard drive is fragmented. I just defragged my drive. The process made 12 passes and took 15 minutes.
- You can minimize the defragging utility while the process takes place and do something else, perhaps go on the internet and enjoy reddit.com.